A quick update on the chilli cuttings I took at the start of the month. A short while back I wrote about the problem of wind damage to our chilli plants and the cuttings I took from a broken stem. Of the 17 cutting we now have 15 healthy looking little clones of the Mother plant, a really hot Indian chilli of the Byadagi variety. It’s a great chilli to use in curries to get that authentic Indian taste.
I have tried to take chilli cuttings on a number of occasions but have never had such a high success rate, so this attempt came as a result of numerous experiments, with organic and natural solutions to act as the rooting hormone. I’ve had some success using honey as a rooting stimulant, however the success rate of the cutting was always quite low. The hormone liquid I used in this test was an Ethanol and Alcohol solution, OK not exactly organic, but the amount of these compounds remaining in the mature plant would be negligible or even non-existent.
I planted up the cuttings using Jiffy peat pellets which make ideal little starter homes for seeds and cuttings. They come in a small box as each pellet is dehydrated, however once water is added to rehydrated them they are ready to use. As far as I can be sure they contain no added chemicals or additional materials other than peat.
As the cutting started to show their new roots through the walls of the pellets I potted them on. The first cutting to show roots was after about two weeks, and today the last of the chilli cuttings have been potted up. So three weeks from cutting to potting up with an approximate success rate of 89% means that I will be trying this method again on some of the rarer chilli plants we have here.