Holiday home cockroach pests this is preventative action for holiday home owners who are not on the Island to regularly check their property.
I think everyone would agree these are unsightly creatures which would make anyone’s skin crawl. I was recently working on an apartment to be greeted by three of them and they were fast (If they were slower I don’t think I wouldn’t mind so much). Hasten to say they were eventually squashed.
First thing we did was to check where they could be coming in (these creatures live under sewers and drains). What we found was a broken shower drain, as a temporary measure we covered the drain with a mesh until we replaced it.
Here is some important facts about cockroaches:
1. They need a source of water – no water and they die within a week.
2. Food – no food and they will die after a month..
What can you do? If you own a holiday home, please take the following measures:
1. Look for help from a Property Management company to go in at least once a week and flush your toilets and run water through your taps. If they find any they can get rid of them, they do breed fast.
2. Make sure you don’t have any leaks or damage to incoming drains.
3. Outlet pipes are closed and sealed when the property is empty.
4. If you turn your water off make sure all sink and bath drains are sealed.
5. Make sure you leave the property clean.
6. Do not leave any food or remains.
7. Make sure household rubbish is not left in bins.
8. If you want to spend money buy some cockroach traps .
Information about Cockroaches:
Cockroaches are omnivorous scavengers and will consume any organic food source available to them. Although they prefer sweets, meats and starches, they are also known to consume other items such as hair, books and decaying matter. Cockroaches eat what is available to them: cockroaches that inhabit sewers feed on sewage, while species living on dead trees consume decaying wood.